My book, Supper Club: recipes and notes from The Underground Restaurant, two years in the making, is published today by Harper Collins. Within it's beautifully designed pages (I love the smell of new books don't you?) you will find:
- a brief history of supper clubs/underground restaurants
- a chapter on MsMarmitelover (my background, family, childhood, politics and approach to food). It's probably the only cookbook that contains the word 'anal'
- a 12 step 'how to set up your own supper club' programme
- 120 tested recipes from me, divided into cocktails and nibbles; starters/small plates; vegetarian mains, fish mains, cheese chapter and dessert. All recipes work for Aga ovens and normal ovens
- three themed menus; Elvis night, Midnight Feast Black menu and the edible flower menu
- a chapter of meat recipes by other supper club hosts including Nuno Mendes of Viajante, Lex Eats, The Shed, Plum Kitchen from New Zealand, Once Upon a Table's Angie Ma from Hong Kong, Sheen Suppers, Mama Lan's chinese supper club, Ben Greeno, Rambling Restaurant, and Casa Saltshaker from Argentina
- guest recipes from Hardeep Singh Kholi
- a worldwide directory of supper clubs with notes on the ones I have visited
- a bibliography
- the longest list of acknowledgements and thanks in the history of mankind
- it's got a pink ribbon for a book mark! I really wanted a ribbon, and gold on the cover and in the binding. My mum, an artist, who has contributed some drawings to the book, always says her paintings sell more if there is a bit of gold.
You will discover the inside story of how I started a restaurant in my front room with the hidden motive that I might find a boyfriend, went up three dress sizes, remained single but got a book deal instead!
Photo of MsMarmite with the book and a plate of marmite on toast: Paul Winch Furness