I love all that Survivalist stuff! Here's what my research suggests that you should have in case of apocalypse:
- A pressure cooker (energy saving, if there is any energy)
- Food grade plastic buckets
- Equipment for digging a well
- Hand cranked stone mill grinder (in case there is no energy, buy everything manual). One site recommended storing whole wheat berries to grind up. More nutritional than white flour.
- Cash. I'm assuming the electronic systems for credit cards will be down
Put away a 12 month supply of:
- water (think a gallon per person per day)
- tinned salmon or tuna
- tinned tomatoes
- Dehydrated potatoes
- dried milk
- Canned food generally
- Freeze dried foods (fruit for instance)
- Vitamin C tablets
- peanut butter
Have seeds for growing, for when things get better. Plus seeds you can sprout for some fresh foods.
Learn to shoot. If things are really bad you'll need to defend your assets.
What are your suggestions for a dessert island or worse, a nuclear attack or an epidemic? And who would you invite to be with you?